Skip to main content

Substitute Teachers

Substitute Teachers

To be a substitute teacher, applicants must hold one of the following

  • Valid Kansas teaching license
  • Valid Out-of-State teaching license and be able to obtain a Kansas License
  • Valid Kansas Emergency Substitute Teacher License


Applicants with at least 60 recent college credit hours or a baccalaureate degree may apply for an “Emergency Substitute Teacher License” through the Kansas State Department of Education. 

Requirements for obtaining an Emergency Substitute Teacher License include: 

  • KSDE application form with an official college transcript (Fee: $60)
  • KBI background check which includes fingerprinting (Fee: $50)

Forms are available from the KSDE website or the Gene Snyder Administrative Center located at 2545 Greenway, Arkansas City, KS 67005.

USD 470 Substitute Requirements: 

  • Substitute Application Form
  • Driver’s License and Social Security Card for identification
  • Recent Health Physical


Substitute pay is $100 per day. 

Inquiries can be made to the Personnel Clerk, Linda Postelwait, at the Gene Snyder Administrative Center located at 2545 Greenway (PO Box 1028), Arkansas City, KS 67005, 620-441-2000, 


USD 470 Nondiscrimination Statement

Arkansas City Public Schools, USD 470, does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, handicap/disability, or age in its programs, or activities. Any questions regarding the District's compliance with Title VI, Title IX, or Section 504, Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination Act, may be directed to the Compliance Coordinator, who may be reached at 620-441-2000, 2545 Greenway, Arkansas City, KS 67005.


USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)


If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at