Kansas law requires parental notification and opt-in for certain non-academic tests, questionnaires, surveys or examinations.
Non-academic tests, questionnaires, surveys or examinations ask questions about private attitudes, values and beliefs as well as practices of a student, parent, guardian, family member, associate, friend and/or peer. Screeners and other measures that impact academic progress and instructional practices are not subject to this law.
What is included in the law:
- Parent/guardian must be notified in writing no more than four months prior to the administration of the non-academic survey.
- Notification must include a copy of the non-academic survey; a description for how a parent provides written consent; the name of the company or entity that developed the non-academic survey; and how the data will be used.
- Parent/guardian must opt-in with consent in writing or electronic signature for each non-academic survey.
- Students may choose to opt-out of a non-academic survey, and must be informed of that right.
- A copy of each non-academic survey must be posted on the district's website.
District non-academic surveys can be found below.
Address: 2545 Greenway, Arkansas City, KS 67005