Skip To Main Content

Substitute Requirements

Requirements and Procedures for Becoming a Substitute Teacher

Emergency Substitute Teaching License Requirements

  • The applicant is required to have at least 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited institution. CEUs and/or Clock Hours are NOT equivalent to semester credit hours.
  • You will need to complete Form 8 for your first emergency license and any renewal license.
  • The first emergency license will be valid through June 30th of the school year in which you apply. Renewal licenses will be valid for two years.
  • Renewal licenses can be submitted beginning in February of the expiration year.


Standard Substitute Teaching License Requirements

  • In order to be considered for a standard substitute teaching license, you will need to hold a degree and have completed a teacher preparation program in order to qualify.
  • If you are applying for an initial Standard Substitute license, have completed a Kansas teacher preparation program, and have never held a standard teaching license in Kansas, you will need to submit Form 1 online at
  • If you are applying for an initial Standard Substitute license and you have completed a teacher preparation program outside of Kansas, or a Renewal of a Kansas Substitute Certificate, complete  Form 5.


Applying for a Substitute License

  • License applications will be completed online at To apply, you will access the Kansas Licensure Application System.
  • If you do not have an account, click the Register button and follow the steps to complete the registration process.
  • If you have already made an account, you will log in (for help retrieving username information, email the Help Desk at
  • Once logged in to the Licensure application system, choose the appropriate form. For Emergency Substitute Licenses, click on the “2. KLAS-Use only for Forms 2, 3a, 8, or 20” menu option to access the application form you need.
  • Fill in the form and submit.
  • Progress of the application can be monitored using the Educator License Lookup feature.
  • For first-time applicants, you will be required to submit a fingerprint card. There is a fee (payable to KSDE) for the fingerprint process and a background check. Fingerprint cards/envelopes can be ordered from the KSDE website or they are available at the Arkansas City USD 470 district office, 2545 Greenway, Arkansas City, KS 67005, during normal business hours. Some law enforcement agencies may charge an additional fee to process your fingerprint card. Submit the fingerprint card and processing fee to:

Kansas Licensure and Accreditation

Kansas State Department of Education

Landon State Office Building

900 SW Jackson St., Ste. 106

Topeka, KS 66612-1220

  • Licenses will not be fully processed until KSDE has received the results of your fingerprints as well as your license application with official transcripts and fees. Licenses will not be mailed out – you will be able to access your license on the KSDE website.


Complete and Submit an Online Application to Arkansas City USD 470

  • All applications must be submitted through our website. You will be asked to create a username and password – please keep this information in a safe place. If you wish to make modifications to your application at any time, you will need the login and password you create. All applications remain on file for a period of 6 months.
  • Click “Apply Here” to get started!
  • Once your application has been processed, you will be notified by email that you have either been selected to move to the next step of the hiring process or that you do not meet the requirements of the position.